Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Lifting Heavy Weights



Like almost anything that's worthwhile in life, the rewards offered by weight training come at cost; whether that cost be time, effort, pain, or injury.

Anyone who has seriously lifted weights for an extended period of time will unashamedly admit that the ratio between reward and cost is a delicate balancing act; one that requires critical thought, research, and experience in order to yield the greatest reward while only costing the smallest amount.

When this ratio works in our favor, a lot of good can come of it. However, sometimes things can get out of hand.

Maybe we start to cross the threshold from hard work to overtraining. Maybe we start to notice some nagging sore spots. Perhaps we've begun to notice some pain in our joints.

In any event, weight training has a good side and a bad side, and also a deep dark ugly side.


Some Context

I'm writing this article primarily as a result of an injury (the ugly part of weight training) that I suffered this past week. While I was barbell squating (low-bar style) I had a spasm on the right side of my lower back. Needless to say, this was painful! Immediately after I racked the weight (and I have no idea how I was able to rack the weight...maybe adrenaline) I noticed a sharp tightness in my back. The pain was so acute that I had to slowly crumple my way to floor in the squat rack. My friends who were in the weight room with me tried to help me up, but to no avail. I couldn't move without being in pain.

Long story short, after about 45 minutes of immobilization (and after some pathetic attempts to get moving) my friends were able to (very slowly and awkwardly) walk me out of the gym and into a car so they could take me to the local clinic. The doctor gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer, along with a two week ban on heavy lifting.

So here I am now, five days later, here to tell you that I regret my decision to lift weights...

Nah! Just kidding!

I actually regret nothing about what's happened. Lifting weights is a passion for me. I've always been well aware that the risks involved in weight training (specifically using barbell squats) were high; but, the rewards have always been worth it. 

Nevertheless, this injury has forced me to reevaluate my goals and my weight training program.

Weighing Risks and Rewards

I'm writing this article for another reason as well: To get you to start thinking critically about your own training (or perhaps other ventures in your life that are both risky and rewarding). 

Whenever you start to think about whether you should follow any sort of training routine, you need to carefully consider your long term goals in reference to the potential long term risks involved in achieving these goals.

For instance, I like barbell squats, deadlifts, bench presses, and standing presses (the proverbial "big 4"). However, I also like being healthy and mobile, and using these exercises presents a potential risk to my health and mobility. 

Up to now, I've had little trouble while using the "big 4." However, since my circumstances have changed, I have to consciously consider whether it's "worth it" to continuing using the "big 4" without further modification (for instance, I may replace barbell squats with a more "back friendly" alternative, such as pistol squats).

Here you see the process of weighing risks and rewards. It is a process I hope you will take to heart, practice, and eventually make a habit (not just in terms of lifting weights, but also in terms of anything you do in life).

Stay Healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment