Friday, November 15, 2013

Who I Am & What This Site Is

Hey there!

My name is Miles, and I'm addicted to fitness, diet, health, metal, and a bunch of other stuff that's really not pertinent.  My goal with this blog is three fold:  1) to hash out relevant, science based, and practically proven methods for building muscle, losing fat, and looking great both inside and out;  2) to mature in my understanding of these topics so that I can continue to refine the ideas that I hash out;  3) to help others avoid the paralysis by analysis that has plagued my fitness journey and been the bane of my existence!

As anyone who has flipped through a muscle magazine or scoured through typical broscience blogs can well attest, a lot of people have a lot of contradictory and complicated ideas about how to build a ripped physic. Moreover, everyone and their aunt seems to be following some sort of new fangled diet or lifestyle approach to achieve health and wellness.  Add to that fact that many of these dieting approaches seem to blatantly contradict each other, despite the fact the people report having great success with each of them, and you've got a recipe for mental meltdown of the likes that Inception can't even touch!

Is there any one true answer, one true path that is somehow superior to the rest?  I don't know admittedly, but I do know that there are some important similarities between all the contradictory fitness and health ideologies swarming the inter-webz.  My plan is not to break down each and every dieting and muscle building strategy to nail down precise variables or gears in the machine that cause these systems to work. Fitness is Emergent.  That is, fitness is greater than the sum of its parts.  Diets, weight routines, and lifestyle factors all coincide in every person in unique and difficult to quantify ways.  However, we are all homo sapiens.  We're all people; meaning it is possible to reach some practical conclusions based on what's worked for some and not worked for others (provided we keep in mind the necessary nuances of context and emergence to get to the meat of what really maters).

Join me!  We've made strides as a species because we're innovative and curious.  Don't just rely on what I find.  Do your own research too!  I'm only one human, and what works or makes sense to me may not be applicable to you!  So do you accept my challenge, or do you want to stick with GNC magazine and gym lore?

3 comments:

  1. I am the father of the blog writer. I'm 66 yrs old, with chronic lymphocytic leukemia, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure and arthritis. I have been listening to Miles' advice for a year and a half and have lost weight, have more energy and feel better than I have in years. He must know what he's talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter what anyone says, I am impressed with your humor, fair and balanced assessments, willingness to oppose common assumptions, and your skillful presentation of information. Now that I've said that, I didn't find much information directed to us 70's old type guys who don't have much time to look in the mirror and just want to be able to use workouts to stay fit and healthy as possible and use the health benefit for common daily chores.

    ReplyDelete