Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Why?

"Why?"

This is such a powerful question, and it's one that many people completely disregard; often to their own detriment.

All too often, I've seen others, and have personally witnessed in myself, an unhealthy obsession with all things fitness related.  I can't possibly relate the stagnation and paralysis to which I've subjected myself since the beginning of my health and muscle building journey.  I have a very obsessive personality, and when a topic or an issue intrigues me, I have to dive in head first and allow myself to become completely immersed in the nuances and minutia of the subject.  Learning how to improve my body composition and my general health just so happens to be the issue I'm most concerned with at the moment; it has been for the past couple years, and it likely will continue to be for many more.

But, for all of my interest in understanding the ins and outs of "how", sometimes I neglect the ever so important "why."

"Why" is the concept that keeps one focused on what's truly important and worthy of one's attention so that the "how" actually means something in the long run.

It's one thing for me to give you information on "how" to lose body fat, to build "guns of steel," and to have an 18 pack, but it's another matter entirely to offer practical reasons for "why" you (or I) should even care.

I guarantee that if you follow my dieting advice and consistently use a no nonsense weight lifting routine, you can create for yourself an impressive physic.  However, if you don't have a relevant, worthwhile, and powerful "why" behind the "how," I can assure you that you won't get very far in your transformation.

The same is true for life in general.  It's one thing to know how to get a job, pay bills, meet deadlines, be a loving parent, or be a loyal friend; but you need a legitimate "why" to allow you to experience long term success and effectual results in these areas of life.

So ask yourself:  Why do you want a six pack?  Why do you want to be healthy?

Do you want to impress the opposite sex?  Do you want to live forever?  Do you want to feel better about yourself?  Do you want to be healthy enough to be an effective parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent?

Whether your motivation is superficial and vain or is more deeply rooted in inestimable desires, you have to own it.  Your desire has to be enough to take you through the mountains and valleys, trials and tempests of body and health transformations.

Getting a ripped physic and achieving lasting health requires the development of habits and a change in lifestyle.  Despite what some BS fitness marking ads often tout, transformations take time and dedication.  If you don't have something meaningful motivating you to press forward with your goals, you'll likely give up when things get tough.

So find your "why," and make it a good one.  "How" can only take you so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment