Saturday, January 4, 2014

Things to Come In 2014

With the dust from the holiday season having settled, and the sugar highs long gone, it's time to begin a new year.

While I hope that you haven't broken your New Year's Resolution(s) just yet, be aware that perfection is something that is both desirable and undesirable in and of itself.  Though it's important to always strive to be better, it's equally important not to give up once you've fallen off your horse once or twice.

We don't fail once we fall.  We fail when we refuse to get up!

Keep that idea in mind no matter where you are in life, or what your goals and aspirations are for the new year.

With that said, here are some of my aspirations for the following year:
1)  Follow a weight training routine for an entire year, and one that I didn't come up with myself.
I have a tendency to hop from one routine to another.  I always feel compelled to change my rep scheme, change the frequency of my workouts, change my diet, etc.  Even though I think I've created some wonderful and potentially effective programs for myself in the past, I always tell myself "this could be better."  What would be best, however, is sticking to a program long enough to actually see results.  I have the necessary knowledge to make a good program, but I've established the habit of being inconsistent.  So this year I'm turning potential knowledge in to to actual knowledge by following a program that I know will work.  (If you're interested in the routine I'm going to use for this whole year, I'm using Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by a guy named Mike Matthews.  It's a great program based on simple, time tested principles.)

2)  Write a book.
Yes, you read that right.  I'm going to start writing a book.  It's going to be about bodybuilding, but it's going to have a unique twist.  It'll be an interesting, and rather unconventional take on bodybuilding as seen from an Aristotelian lens.  It often seems as though most fitness and health authors are just beating a dead horse at times.  Even though different "experts," doctors, and bodybuilders alike have produced a wealth of literature, it's all pretty well the same message in different packaging.  Aside from intermittent fasting (even this one's a stretch), I've yet to see anything truly revolutionary or unheard of in the sphere of health and wellness.  Most health ideas seem to fade in and out of use like any other trend.  One minute it's all about the glycemic index, the next it's about going low carb, then about carb cycling, then back to the glycemic index mixed with carb cycling, then it's about standing on your tip toes, clapping 3 times, and getting round housed by Chuck Norris 3.26 minutes before you eat dinner so you won't store any fat, or some other non-sense.  The programs that work, work for a very small handful of reasons, none of which are new.  This is why I'm taking an Aristotelian approach to my book.  I hope to show the timelessness and the effectiveness of applying 2,000+ year old principles to modern issues such as how to build muscle, lose fat, and be healthy.  I don't have a specific timetable for when I'll have the book completed.  I hope to have it completed before the end of the year in the worst case scenario, and by the mid to late summer in the best case scenario.  Keep your eyes peeled for updates!

That's that.  Here's some words of wisdom to cap this post off:

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment